Every year in November, usually around Thanksgiving, I renew the license for Kaspersky Anti-Virus that we use on all of our desktop computers and update the latest version. Since license keys are version independent, I decided to update to the 2014 version early. Strangely, the update wasn’t as painful as usual. But, several times a day, the new version would use ALL of the CPU for a long time. The recommended “fix” was to uninstall, reboot, reinstall, reboot, update signatures and reboot. Performing that procedure took all evening but did resolve the problem. I wonder why they publish an upgrade that installs over the current version if it doesn’t really work. I’ve got a LOT better things to do with my time (like the activities in the picture), especially on a Friday evening.