I’ve worked downtown off and on for many years; but this is the first time I’ve had to pay for parking. Not a big deal except the garage I use doesn’t send bills or email reminders. That’s not been a problem for me but I wonder how many people show up one morning and find that their key cards don’t work anymore. In these days of companies trying to convince people to sign up for automatic monthly debits for everything so that they can get their money faster that seems a strangely old-fashioned way of doing things.
Monthly Archives: February 2018
Tuesday Two For #279
The Wife had an appointment at the eye doctor shortly before our photo session and her eyes were still sensitive to light. So, we were unable to use the background lighting or the camera flash. As a result. The pictures are relatively dark and grainy. We both still had fun even if the photographs look like they were shot with a spy camera. More importantly, everything is well with her. We can always add to our photo collection another day.
Monday Monologue #279
An interior monologue from me (and sometimes the wife).
- We had the highest water we’ve seen in many, many years this weekend. Even though its warm (for February), we won’t be rowing any time soon. We just hoping we don’t have an unusually wet spring. Thankfully, it seems that the bitter cold weather is over for the year. Although it will probably snow again.
- We’ve only been able to workout outside a few times this winter. It’s either been cold or snowy or rainy or some combination. It was warm enough this weekend and wasn’t raining all the time; but, unfortunately, the park was under water.
- This past week, I’ve been uninstalling programs from our computer that we don’t use any more. Usually there are only a few; but, this time, I’ve actually created quite a bit of space. I also updated the programs we do use that don’t have auto update capability.
- I thought about doing our taxes; but that’s as close as I got. We still have six weeks and I am in no hurry to mail a big check. We always send in our return the last week anyway so that we keep our money as long as possible.
Friday Featurette #278
Recently, we’ve been doing all of our chores on Saturday so we don’t have anything to do on Sunday and can just stay around the house and relax. So far, that has worked well even if the gym we usually go to is more crowded on Saturday mornings. It definitely makes the weekend seem a bit longer although we long for the days when we can get out on row on Sunday afternoons. We plan to do the same this week. Have a great weekend!
Traditional Thursday #278
Unsurprisingly, the taste of spring that we had on Tuesday is over. It’s cold and rainy again. An improvement over cold and snowy; but not by much. Its good for the grass; but, we are longing for some extended sunshine.
I’ve been watching the Olympics whenever I have the opportunity to go dark and not find out the results. Live scores and standings are everywhere, from crawlers on the bottom of TV screens to posts and tweets online. it’s difficult to not find out who one. Especially with “live” television not quite being live.
Wednesday Weirdness #278
I discovered today that I accidentally paid the wrong company when I was paying bills last week. I’ve now sent money to the correct payee; but there is no easy way to get the money back from the wrong one. As much as we do things online, it was bound to happen eventually. The only “good” thing is that the misdirected payment went to a vendor we pay regularly. So, we will be able to use the expected credit on our account and will not have the trouble of requesting a refund.
Tuesday Two For #278
I finally fixed a weird issue that I have been having with a computer that I upgraded to Windows 10. The “fix” was amazingly simple. Diagnosing the problem was the hard part. And, even though I know what’s happening, I still haven’t figured out why. I don’t like mysteries. Especially technical ones.
We had a brief taste of Spring today. One of those rare days February days where we could open all the windows during the day and get outside in the afternoon. I’m sure that we will be back to bundling up soon. But today was great. Even if it was only for one day.
Monday Monologue #278
An interior monologue from me (and sometimes the wife).
- I donated blood on Friday for the first time in a long time and it was just as uncomfortable as always. I’ve been donating regularly since I was in college and I still HATE the feeling of a needle in my arm.
- Yesterday’s All-Star game was actually competitive and entertaining. A lot different than the games of the past several years that were all offense and no defense. And, no one got hurt despite playing hard.
- I did not have today off from work. I never do and its usually not noteworthy. Except today was 70-degrees, which is likely a record high temperature for around here in February.
- We are not too far from the time change after which it will be light enough (and hopefully warm enough) for us to row in the evening. Winter isn’t over; but, spring doesn’t seem quite so far away.
Friday Featurette #277
With all of the popular browser starting to display warnings about “insecure” sites, I’ve been experimenting with changing this blog to be secure only. Everything should be the same except the warning now should be replaced by a padlock icon. I don’t know if I’ll keep the configuration permanently. But, now, even If I revert back, I know the best way to set everything up when I need to. Yet one more task that is a lot more difficult to perform with WordPress than it should be.
Have a great weekend. We hope you have a Monday off and can enjoy a three day one.
Traditional Thursday #277
One of the things that good about working downtown and walking everywhere rather than driving is that I’m going noticeably longer between fill ups. I did not realize how much gas a few lunchtime errands were using each week. I still walk when it’s cold or rainy and not much fun to be a pedestrian But, I am really looking toward to spring. Winter gas mileage probably isn’t a major concern when you drive a big SUV. But, even though it’s not very much, I still have a list of items to purchase as the “efficiency savings”. accrues